chinchilla on the loose

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Turkey Day

So Thanksgiving has come and gone along with what once was a golden tan, and it will be in the 20's tomorrow at it's highest. The holiday season is in full swing and shoppers are going mad. I went to ran errands yesterday, at some stores that I wouldn't even consider Christmas stores, and got blocked by slow people, almost hit with carts, and frustrated with the crowds. Is it possible to buy enough groceries/cleaning supplies/ toiletries to last me now through january???

I know I'm getting old because the family aspect of this season is more and more important to me. Even though at the same time they are getting more frustrating to me. It's wierd that family can put you in a certain mood with the most subtle push of a button. Miss them when they're not around; think about attacking them with a butter knife when they are. Aaaahhhh.....

I know I'm getting old because people saying "Happy Turkey Day!" bugs me. Uggghhh - I hate myself! I'm just like the bitchy french teacher I had growing up who would freak out when people called Queen Victoria, "Firecracker Day" because we were forgetting all about the roots of the day and not honoring the great monarchy that is Canada and Great Britain!!! Yup! That's me...Sure, I don't even really know the history of Thanksgiving, but I like the idea of a day dedicated to being happy about all the good things in life. I mean, then why not call Christmas "Consumermas" or something more clever but gross?

I know I'm getting old because I'm enjoying cooking more and more. Since my mom wasn't feeling well this year I got to make almost everything for dinner. And it was fun and things actually worked. I am capable of following recipes! Who knew?

But overall the holiday and weekend were great! One TG with the family, one with the friends. Lots of time spent with a great bf. A birthday brunch with fun girfriends and a hockey game. And lastly a pure day of laziness before I had to head back to work - which wasn't easy. Now I'm here, thinking about the weekend already.

Is it here yet?

3 Comments:

Blogger P said...

Though the details may differ in specific cases, Thanksgiving is basically a harvest holiday (which is why it's five weeks earlier in Canada - 'cause it's fucking cold up here), and so, since we're not an agrarian society any more, "a day dedicated to being happy about all the good things in life" is right on.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not old, you're young, smart and hot!!

11:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the blog :) Glad I got a mention as a "fun girlfriend!" wahoo!

11:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home