chinchilla on the loose

Monday, November 06, 2006

No on 43, Yes on I

It’s voting time! This is my first chance to ever vote! Yay me!

Too bad I don’t know any of the candidates involved. There’s really only one issue that I care about anyway - Gay marriage. Since we like to stir the pot at the parents’ house, conversation wandered there over the weekend. My dad is totally against it with no good reason that I can see. I don’t understand what straight people are so afraid of anyway.

Marriage is already a damaged institution. Conservative ads argue that Gay marriage will dilute the meaning of marriage. I don’t think anything dilutes it more than the term “irreconcilable differences” which should really just be changed to, “I changed my mind”.

I don’t think children adopted by gay parents have any less chance of being happy. Everyone’s messed up any way in one way or another and having gay parents isn’t going to make you gay. And even if it did, so what? Having morbidly obese parents will probably make you obese as well, but no one’s stopping that!

By the way, I think “Waiting For the World to Change” is a horrible song in that it is full of excuses and serves as an anthem to passivism for our already lazy generation. Really, it’s just saying we’re unhappy about some things, but we really don’t care enough to do anything about it – and that’s sad. I mean, the fight ain’t fair? The fight is never fair. It certainly wasn’t fair for Rosa Parks or MLK, or Anne Frank, or Gandhi. We’re just too lazy to walk to work!

“You must become the change you want to see in the world”.

2 Comments:

Blogger P said...

I'm all for gay marriage because the more accepting we are of homosexuals as a society the fewer gay men will end up in sham marriages with women, thus freeing up additional women and increasing my chances.

I can turn anything on its head.

Also, writing from a country where gay marriage has been legal for a little while, and from a neighbourhood that's, well, *the* gay neighbourhood, I can assure everyone that society did not collapse, or even stumble. All is well, really. Retail sales are strong, the school system's okay, and I did not have to marry a dude, though one or two did whisper some sweet nothings to me in the elevator.

8:45 PM  
Blogger HelloBettyLou said...

See, it's ok, the world will not end if we embrace our fellow man (figuratively if you will).

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home