chinchilla on the loose

Sunday, January 07, 2007

Pssssttt......

Have you ever stolen vodka from your parents' freezer, and diluted it with water so they couldn't tell and then acted dumb when they wondered how it could possibly freeze?

I lied a lot growing up, I feel like the middle child has to lie the most - not that that's an excuse. But the first child turns out so good, that the second crazy child can't hold up. Ok, I don't know if I really believe that either...but it seems to be a pattern amongst the families I know.

I lied about a lot, all the time, because my life style didn't suit my family at all.

My dad always took it so personally when he caught me. "How could you lie to ME?!" "How could you do this to ME?!" "What am I doing wrong?!" And it made me feel really bad.

But I think, no child can grow up without lying to their parents. It's kind of built in to the system. If parents had it their way, it would be all puppies and rainbows all the time. And then the devil would come wrapped up in a rainbow and you wouldn't know the difference.

You can tell a girl:
He/she's the wrong person for you...
This is the wrong choice for you...
You deserve better thant this or that...
You are so much smarter than this...
If it was meant to be...
Don't you think there's consequences? to...
what are you thinking doing? ...

But you don't learn unless you learn for yourself, by picking the wrong major, the wrong guy, the wrong friend, the wrong vice, the wrong guy, the wrong guy the wrong guy, the wrong guy.....

And even given all that...if I ever have kids, they will have a hard time getting away with stuff. I have done the vodka thing, and many others, and I'll let them know I know. But I'll be waiting to tell them that some one cares about their mistakes, and will be there when their heart is broken, when their blood/alke content level is too high, when they figured out they aren't happy in what they're donig, and when the walls are caving in on them and making them feel like the world is against them.

And I'm sure it will hurt when they lie.

1 Comments:

Blogger P said...

I'm a terrible liar. I avoid saying things, if I have something undesirable to say, because if I'm cornered on it I'll just feel too bad to lie about it, at least most of the time, when it's important.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home