chinchilla on the loose

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Christmas Finger

Road rage is an awful thing, and completely pointless in any sense of productivity.
Slamming on the breaks and then having to brake abruptly will not get you there any faster
than going a smooth speed, nor will slamming your hands on the steering wheel, or getting
stab-someone-in-the-throat angry and bottling it all inside.

I used to have a horrible road rage problem, when I used to commute an hour to school both
ways during rush hour traiffic through downtowm. At the same time I was dating a guy who
was like a pms'ing girl when it came to punctuality. Even worse. Yes, five minutes counted
as "late". I don't know why I put up with this sort of attitude; I can only boil it down to
a three year lapse in judgment.

But that time in my life, did help me with one realization. Nothing I do in traffic will
make it move any faster. I cannot just honk and remind everyone to move - it's not like
they forgot. But what I can do is enjoy my time stuck in the car: find a talk show I
enjoy, some books on tape, truly enjoy the music I'm listening to, get my phone calls out of
the way, touch myself (under a jacket of course with my low riding car), savor my soft
drink....basically, do what I'd otherwise be doing but enjoying the time, to myself.
Even despite this, I had a bit of the rage today on my way home, after a stressful and long
day which almost drove me to drink. But I caught myself. Which is why it amazes me that
adults who have twice, or more, my life experience still succumb to it, and choose to be
annoyed rather than accept that they are stuck in faith's bottleneck and have a little party
by themselves in their car.

Once, in a King Sooper's parking lot, I did something dumb driving. I don't remember what
it was, but I admit it, I remember it was dumb. And if I and the other driver weren't
paying attention, it would have resulted in a minor bumper bump. whatever. This person was
on their way out of the parking lot and left after giving me the finger. He then proceeded
to turn out of the lot, while I parked my car, made a Uturn, drove back into the parking
lot, just tell me I was a "dumb irresponsible driver who should have their license revoked!
and made a mochary of road rules!" or something ridiculous like that. There were probably
cuss words in there. I gave him my best unplanned stoic looked and went inside to get my
tampons.

So, I didn't go shopping today, I went to work and changed my day off until tomorrow. Yay!
I get to play volleyball late today and sleep in tomorrow!!! And then I get to fight
Christmas shopping traffic, and touch myself. And maybe if pushed to the edgy, I'll give
someone the Christmas holiday spirit finger.

1 Comments:

Blogger P said...

It's amazing how much time and effort some people are willing to commit to compensating you for the wrong they perceived you inflicting on them in traffic. The father of someone I knew back in highschool would, if someone cut him off in traffic, tailgate that person to wherever they were going - aaalll the way, and then give them a menacing look before driving away, or something like that. I was never actually present for this, but I heard stories. OMG, that was totally rewarding and meaningful and a good use of the time, and they'll learn for next time! Holy crap.

In Toronto, fights have broken out at the roadside after people pulled over on the freaking highway to sort things out, and there have even been shootings and maybe even deaths. Despite this, a recent study in the greater Toronto area suggests that people driving to work are much happier than those taking mass transit, though I suspect that's not really an endorsement of driving but rather a condemnation of mass transit.

7:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home