chinchilla on the loose

Friday, November 16, 2007

Rough Nite

After a great day in the mountains, during which I started feeling sick, I woke up feeling fully sick. I have some kind of evil cold - sore throat, sore body, sore head and ears - and this was after getting to sleep in on my day off. Yesterday we ignored it, and I caffeined and adviled myself up and pretended it wasn't happening, but there's no pretending now. So much for mind over body...

After an active day, and Gus falling asleep because he has the gift of falling asleep whenever he wants, like a puppy or a kitten, but cuter - 007 called me and I answered. I stayed up way too late talking to him and this didn't help.

He's pretty depressed. In the last week, he's gotten a DUI, and his girlfriend broke up with him. I think if anything the latter might have caused the former but I had a hard time deciding.

I find it amazing that tons of people drink and drive every day, and it's not all bad; some of it is just the I-know-I-might-blow-over-but-I'm-fine-to-drive drinking and driving. Two drinks in two hours is not much for many people...and yet some of these peeps have had to deal with the court fees, the classes and the community service for years just because of bad luck. But 007 has been doing the i-can't-believe-you're-still-alive type of driving for years, and this is the first time he's been caught. Some times I can't believe I got in the car with him but I was pretty depressed when I spent time with him anyway. Maybe I had a bit of a death wish. I'd link to my first blog with him a la Stephanie Klein, but I don't know how.

He got caught because - you know those sticks with the white reflectors on the top when it's dark and there's no lights and there's a turn? - well I guess he drove over 4 or 5 of those? Good thing they weren't children. He has a job that requires him to drive for hours each day, but will have an opportunity to carpool. He's an engineer, so his life isn't over or anything. But he does live in the middle of Nowhere, sister city to Somewhere, and only likes to hang out in Somewhere, but there are no buses between the two.

So while I did my best to make him feel better and agree that the world is against him and evil, because some times that's just what a "friend" needs, I also tried to get him to take some responsibility. So when this happens to a friend, is it wrong to feel a sense of relief because he's kind of been asking for it for years?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home