chinchilla on the loose

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Cookies and Cartoons

When I wake up in the morning, I generally like something quiet in the back ground while I get ready. I prefer KBCO but since I have no radio or internet in my room I usually settle for TV. In the morning, MTV actually plays vidieos, there the same ones over and over again, but since that's the only place I'll ever hear those songs I can deal with it. Currently, they're totally overplaying the new Timperlake video with the way to beautiful for the world to ever be a fair place Scarlet Johanson - which is way too long a video and not even a decent song but I digress. Instead of hitting "66" this morning, I accidentally hit "6" and the tv took me to a cartoon.

Now cartoons these days, those on Cartoon Network are insane with plots that don't seem to make, they show one quick image after another....no wonder ADD is on the rise! But this was the slow peaceful cartoons that I remember. I think there was a bouncing bunny or something. I listened to the music and stared for a while. It really took me back.

It took me back to the days when waking up in the morning was never that painful, because I didn't need much sleep and morning were just chilling before I mosey'ed on my walk to school.

It took me back to the days when I would have 7 (because the number was lucky) chocolate chip cookies dipped in milk, in my parents' short coffee cups because the shallow walls made them better for dipping, and I didn't worry about the calories or lack of nutrients I was or wasn't digesting.

It took me back to the days when I knew that if I got really sick or depressed and needed to stop getting up every morning, nothing would be wrong, and some one would bring my homework to me - or rather to a time when that worry would never even cross my mind.

Back to a time when there were field trips, and not to Distribution centers, but to cool places like the Zoo, or the Science Center, the Conservatory, the Art Museum........aaaaahhh. And sitting on the back of the bus so that when we hit that big bump on the QEW I'd fly high!

Back to a time when there were all day parties for Valentine's day, Christmas, Halloween.....and we spent all day eating chips and drinking punch and making little heart envelopes or other arts and crafts and getting skool glue all over. And glue sticks!!!!!!!!

Now I know I have to go in to work, there will be no parties, no field trips, no gym class with Red Rover and Capture the flag, no recess with Four Square, no cookies without guilt, no milk because I swear it gives me bad breath, and no getting off school because I faked being sick.

But there will be cooking whatever I want, booze, staying out to late, sex and my bf staying over, trips to Mexico and beyond, road trips, and the loving dog I was never allowed to have.

(God) grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change
Change the things I can
And the wisdom to know the difference....

2 Comments:

Blogger P said...

Sometimes nothing replaces the good things that were, and sometimes the good things that were weren't really that good and we just pretend they were. :(

And they smoothed over that bump in the Gardiner/QEW years ago.

I'm such a ray of sunshine. Cancerous, globe-warming, skin-wrinkling sunshine.

2:13 PM  
Blogger chinchilla said...

Oh believe me, guilt free cookies are very god. = )

Now replaced with guilt free......wait, nothing is quite guilt free anymore - augh!!!!!

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home