chinchilla on the loose

Friday, December 28, 2007

Christmas 2007

The emotional roller coaster that is 2007 Christmas is over. It was a roller coaster indeed. Friday night before I couldn't sleep and heard my Bishy drink two full bowls of water and was woken up by him three times to let him out so he could relieve himself. I realized this wasn't normal and started researching "increased urine canine" in google. Thirty minutes later I was rushing Bishop to the vet with Gus by my side waiting to find out what was wrong. He has elevated amounts of BUN in his blood - this most likely means kidney problems.

The vet made it sound like it wasn't a big deal, could be he's dehydrated. But I knew better so the panic slowly set in over the next couple of days til I was breaking down and crying at work for seemingly no reason. You see....the doctor doesn't know that he's been having accidents for a month and he never ever has accidents. This is called leakage and is a symptom of kidney failure. The doctor also doesn't know has lupus, one of the main causes of kidney failure in both humans and animals. I researched more and more and found many websites that say once the symptoms are visible, there is no way to reverse the damage or treat it and death is around the corner.

This does not a merry Christmas make.

I don't know what I'd do without my Bishalish! I love him so much and he's been through so much with me. I know he's going to die before me. I know they say the only problem with loving animals is they die to soon. But I'm just not ready to let him go yet. No way.

I finally panicked enough and called the vet back and almost cried on the phone - she talked me down. Even if it is kidney problems, he can live for a long time if I get him on a low protein low phosphorous diet, and quite comfortably. This was on the way home from work Christmas Eve. I'm so glad I called, my Christmas was saved. I only cried at my parents' house once but the fun of decorating the tree with my brothers soon let me forget it.

Decorating the tree at my house is kind of like a barbecue. You can be in a bad mood and bicker all you want, but eventually, everyone is either moving a picnic table or tending to the food or beer and eventually you open your eyes and realize you're having fun. My brother quit smoking again which makes him irritable usually but even he was fine. It didn't take though. I really hope he quits soon.

Despite the fact that I thought I was going to die on the way to and from my parents' house on Christmas day, Christmas this year seemed more enjoyable than it had in a while. I got awesome presents, especially from Gus. There was no fighting in my family. My parents couldn't find a way to get carp - sorry!

Now I just have to collect a urine sample from Bish. That should be fun. I wish I could just bring in some yellow snow in a cup.

1 Comments:

Blogger P said...

Gah, if the Bish needs them drugs, my friend's cousin knows this guy who knows a guy... and failing that hopefully his doggie insurance will kick in.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home